Re: ratios of green to developed space

  • Subject: Re: [cg] ratios of green to developed space
  • From: Dboek@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 20:07:56 EDT

Hi, Anna and everyone,

I've got exactly the same question. We're trying to strengthen our existing
tree ordinance in Charlotte, where a 'stakeholder group' now debating how to
proceed. One school of thought is to use the 'canopy' of mature trees as the
way to measure impact (of course, developers are fine with this - if you give
them 'credit' for a mature tree canopy when they leave a 2 inch sapling).
Another approach is to look at the problem ecologically, and set aside a
percentage of the land area of a new development for habitat, trees and open
space.

For the record, our current required canopy is 10%. The city, where trees
thrive, probably has a cover ranging from over 60% in some neighborhoods
(high income) to less than 20 in others, and zip in new developments that
have been clear-cut.

Ideas from other cities would really help.

Also, I'm wondering if community gardening can help with tree and habitat
preservation and stewardship. I recently learned about Philadelphia's tree
steward program (from this list) - do other communities have experience with
that? What about tree nursery projects, especially for native trees?

Thanks a lot,

if you were closer, I'd give you all some tomatoes. The new paste tomato,
Juliette, is very pretty but not super-tasty, glad I've got my Celebrities
and Brandywines.

Don
Charlotte NC