Smoking in community gardens

  • Subject: [cg] Smoking in community gardens
  • From: "Dr. H. Michael Simmons" <simmonsm@bloomington.in.us>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 06:16:47 -0500 (EST)

We prohibit smoking in all of our gardens, not only because of the dangers
of TMV, the possibility of fire in the mulched paths, and the
unsightliness of cigarette butts in the garden, but also and principally
because smoking is an unhealthy and annoying activity which is
incompatible with recreational community gardening.  We owe it to our
participants to provide a comfortable and healthful environment in which
to garden.  We have never had a complaint about our policy, and all of our
gardens are on public land.

H. Michael Simmons
Garden Administrator
Bloomington Parks and Recreation