Tobacco in gardens

  • Subject: [cg] Tobacco in gardens
  • From: "Hope Coulter" <arhunger@flash.net>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 11:31:37 -0500

My interest in vegetable gardening comes mostly from doing it as a child alongside my father, a pipe smoker.  He always enlisted me to pull the suckers off his tomato plants and explained it was because he handled the tobacco and might transmit a disease to them.  Doing this task made me feel important--there was something I was needed to do that he couldn't do!--and helped me take ownership in those tomatoes.
I'm grown now, he still smokes, and he has no child at home to do this for him, by the way, but he still raises delicious tomatoes every year.  So it's not like they keel over at the slightest touch of a smoker's hands.
I'm with Adam.  Tolerance and cheer will serve the garden best.
Hope Coulter
Arkansas Hunger Coalition