How dangerous is this tobacco ?

  • Subject: [cg] How dangerous is this tobacco ?
  • From: Hans H Harmsen <plenneke@xtra.co.nz>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 05:48:34 +1200

Dear folks,
I have been following the discussion about smoking in community gardens.
Where is the proof, that the use of tobacco is likely to infect other related plants ?
I would be interested, if one of you all could find me an article on this aspect of the subject.
As I do practical research with what worms can and cannot do for our environment, I would like to do some experimenting with tobacco, used and unused.
I am not suggesting, to buy all my worms a packet of cigarettes naturally, but it would be interesting to know, if nicotine in any form is detrimental to the worms.
Any butts I can have ?
From one of my friends, I cannot obtain them any more, and we are both putting pressure on her husband, to give up the habit, but without much success, despite the fact, that he spent 7 weeks around the hospital going to the oncology department daily.
He has no cancercells now, but it was a close go.
Our local school had a campaign for a while, warning the young pupils, never to take up smoking, It made sense, but I have not seen it lately, Putting the pressure onto the smoker to stop, may NOT be the right approach, as it tends to make them more determined to keep doing it.
All in all, As a non smoker, I agree with Adam, let them if they want to, but make them wash their hands before handling the plants in the garden, it may make them think about what they are doing, imagine being asked to wash your hands on a cold frosty morning, just because you have been smoking !

--Sincerely Yours :
Hans H.Harmsen,
E-Mail : plenneke@xtra.co.nz
Website : http://www.gronouwe.co.nz