Re: How dangerous is tobacco?

  • Subject: [cg] Re: How dangerous is tobacco?
  • From: Jeneva Storme <jenevastorme@yahoo.ca>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 18:09:44 -0400 (EDT)

Dear folks,
I have been following the discussion about smoking in
community gardens.
Where is the proof, that the use of tobacco is likely
to infect other related plants ?
I would be interested, if one of you all could find me
an article on this aspect of the subject.
As I do practical research with what worms can and
cannot do for our environment, I would like to do some
experimenting with tobacco, used and unused.
I am not suggesting, to buy all my worms a packet of
cigarettes naturally, but it would be interesting to
know, if nicotine in any form is detrimental to the

Here are some articles and other information on
Tobacco Mosaic Virus:
Tomato-Tobacco Mosaic Virus Disease

Tobacco mosaic tobamovirus

Problem: Tobacco Mosaic Virus of Tomato

Apparently, even handling tools without washing one's
hands after handling tobacco can spread the virus, and
there are also plants that carry and transmit the
virus without being affected by it.  So, when dealing
with tomatoes, etc., hands should be washed after
weeding or handling other plants as well.

Nicotine in general is known as an effective
pesticide, and is poisonous to many creatures when
ingested, so I imagine it wouldn't be any good for the
worms.  I did find three pages on vermicomposting that
say not to put tobacco in the worm bins, though they
don't go into any more detail than that:

Hope that helps.

Shade and Sweet Water,
Jeneva Storme

Greening West Broadway Coordinator
"Neighbourhood Solutions for Community Change"

West Broadway Development Corporation
640 Broadway, Winnipeg, MB  R3C 0X3
phone: 774-3534  fax: 779-2203
website: http://www.westbroadway.mb.ca