Re: Gardens in the Sky - Food Security - A Community Gardener's Perspective

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Gardens in the Sky - Food Security - A Community Gardener's Perspective
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 15:04:25 EDT

Guiding the conversation back to community gardening.

Roof gardening as an energy saving and air quality improving  strategy is
great, as far as it goes.  The more of the surface area of this planet that is
covered by green, either at ground level or at 60, 100 or 1000 feet is a very,
very, good thing.

However, with the intractable, it seems,  problem of hunger in this
country... caused by our perverse destruction of family farms near cities in order to
create suburban sprawl, centralized corporate farming which, in order to create
"efficiencies" in distribution,  requires long distance trucking for most of
our grocery basket - an average of 1,400 miles and an attitude on the part of
our planners that verges on Malthusian, volunteer efforts will necessarily
need to be made to feed the destitute,  our seniors, children and interestingly,
the working poor that are increasingly filling our food pantries and soup
kitchens.

Yes, the working urban poor - the folks who park cars, make deliveries and
even work the check-out counters at the supermarkets are frequent users of our
voluntary, emergency food security system.  With the current financial
recession and conservative bent of the federal government, we are turning hungry
people away from our soup kitchens more - demand is that great.

I suggest that as part of the food security net of our municipalities that
low lying industrial buildings with strong roofs be retrofitted and or designed
(with tax credits ,of course) to house roof gardens designed to feed our
hungry.  Whether they are tended by employees of the host companies (as a kind of
volunteer effort) or by gangs of community garden volunteers, the use of these
roofs in this summer to grow fresh produce and as greenhouses in the winter
would go a long way towards helping ease the crisis.

Community roof gardens in schools, hospitals, senior centers or even prisons
in densely populated urban areas with reasonable rain and sunshine could aid
in this effort as well as being amenities for the humans who "go up there."

Honestly, someday, I'd love to see a rooftop gardening community that really
serves their community at large in terms of feeding it, providing open space
and relaxation, apply for membership in the ACGA. <A
HREF="http://www.communitygarden.org/";>American Community Gardening Association</A>

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer,