Help us save the Livermore Community Gardens (last chance)

  • Subject: [cg] Help us save the Livermore Community Gardens (last chance)
  • From: "Livermore Gardens" friendsofthegardens@hotmail.com
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 21:17:09 -0700

Hello Friends,

As we are coming up to the last week of waiting....we need to be ready! I would like to thank everyone in advance for all of the support that I've been receiving, it really helps!

I also wanted to remind everybody that if you cannot make it to the meeting on July 9th, it would be REALLY helpful if you could write letters to the Board members (5 of them) and one to the brand new general manager. His name is Tim Barry. Email works really well, I'll get to that in a minute...

It is important to know that you DO NOT have to be a Livermore resident to write letters or to participate in any way. All letters and any other aid is helpful, no matter how small the contribution is. If you prefer, you can make phone calls instead. You can include in your letter that you are aware of the meeting on July 9th, that you cannot make it BUT that you want to voice your support for keeping the gardens at their location.

Here is some information that you may want to include, (as much as you want to) as an addition to your personalized letter:

1) The Gardens beautify this area, they are not an eye-sore.

2) The Gardens have tremendous potential to be an educational tool for teaching environmental issues to people of all ages including how to grow food, and composting.

3) The Gardens are at a central location, with apartments, schools, churches, and public transportation nearby. This is the BEST place to have the gardens. They can be enjoyed by the largest number of people, and serve the community best at their current location.

4) The Community Gardens are an ASSET to the new Community Center to balance out the heavy emphasis on sports.

5) The Community Gardens are an ASSET to the new Senior Center (which will be included within the new Community Center), as many seniors may not want to, or be able to, practice other activities. The advantages of gardening for seniors are endless, including physical, and mental benefits, as well as being an opportunity for socializing.

There are many, many more...but, hopefully this will get you started. Please, pass this email to anyone that you may think might be interested on helping out.

Now, if you want to join us at the meeting, here is the information: July 9th, at 7:00pm, at the City Council Chambers on 3575 Pacific Avenue, Livermore. The issue will be voted on at this meeting. This is the 3rd time they vote on this issue, and hopefully, with all of your support, this time will be on our side.

Here are the emails that you need to send letters to:

Scott Kamena - skamena@attbi.com

Maryalice Faultings - maryalicesf@attbi.com

Dale Turner - dale@daleturner.com

David Furst - kdfurst@att.net

Alice Quinn - alicewholoveshorses@yahoo.com

Tim Barry - General Manager: tbarry@larpd.dst.ca.us

Send those letters! Also, if you don't think that you will speak at the meeting (but, will attend) write a letter!

The LARPD website is: www.larpd.dst.ca.us

Thank you everyone!

Begoņa Cirera

"Think Globally, Garden Locally"

"Community Gardens = Sustainability"

"Community Gardens + Community Center = Happy Community "

MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE* ______________________________________________________ The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org To post an e-mail to the list: community_garden@mallorn.com To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription: https://secure.mallorn.com/mailman/listinfo/community_garden