(cg) hair

  • Subject: [cg] (cg) hair
  • From: Hans H Harmsen plenneke@xtra.co.nz
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 07:37:53 +1200

I have not tested "hair" with my worms yet,
but according to some worm information publications,
worms WILL tackle hair and nails, if it is small enough to get started on.
I.E. short hair and nailparings.
Both materials are rich in protein, that is why the compost worm will feed on it.

Personally, I would put both those materials in the compost heap,
which should be regularly stocked with composting worms,
so that you will not encounter these materials later on in the soil.

Any dead mice, rats and birds, which the cat brings into your home,
can safely go on the compost heap too
provided the heap is covered against the flies, flyscreen will do.
The main danger here is, that it is attractive to roaming dogs, who will
dig up your compost heap, to get at any meaty bits and pieces.
We set a trap, and the dog ranger will prosecute the owners for not having the
dog under continuous control.

It is also a fallacy, that worms will shun certain foods like dairy produce,
citrus foods and other strong smelling stuff like onions etc.
When the worms are hungry enough, they WILL get into those as well,
if they have no access to more attractive food for them.
They started on my carpet squares which covered my wormbeds
when I had others (under)feeding my wormbeds
while I was away on a four month holiday.

I had an "empty" cream container in the kitchen scraps one day,
it had some sour cream left in it.
You should have seen the worms it attracted, the little carton was
full of worms when I investigated it later.

However, if you put these things in the compost heap, please COVER
it so that smells cannot escape, and flies, live rats, mice and birds
cannot get at it.

For more INFO on worms, visit my website : ( NOT COMMERCIAL )

HH Harmsen.