Re: (cg) hair

  • Subject: Re: [cg] (cg) hair
  • From: "Lisa Coven" LCoven@ci.burlington.vt.us
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 08:12:00 -0400

Actually did you know that there is a big difference between hot and
cold composts.  If temperatures do not reach a certain point in
decomposing then  there is a chance that bacteria will not break down
and the compost could present a danger.
Meat and dairy need higher temperatures which means a lot more
maintenance in the long run.  I never support backyard food composting
unless in a closed container and the person managing the compost knows
what they are doing.

Lisa Coven
Conservation Legacy Program
Burlington Area Community Gardens
Burlington Parks and Recreation Department
645 Pine Street, Suite B
Burlington, Vermont 05401
802- 863-0420
fax- 802-862-8027

>>> "Robyn Stewart" <Robyn.Stewart@parks.nyc.gov> 07/14/03 02:30PM >>>
The main reason to keep meat and dairy out of compost bins/piles is not
that these materials will not decompose (they WILL), but rather that
they tend to smell bad and attract animals.  Unless your compost is
somewhere where you don't have to smell it and is entirely protected
from animals, it is probably best to keep these materials out.  Hair and
nails should be fine.

Robyn Stewart
City Parks Foundation
1234 Fifth Ave, room 232
New York, NY 10029
(212) 360-2744
Robyn.Stewart@parks.nyc.gov

>>> Hans H Harmsen <plenneke@xtra.co.nz> 07/10/03 03:37PM >>>
I have not tested "hair" with my worms yet,
but according to some worm information publications,
worms WILL tackle hair and nails, if it is small enough to get started
on.
I.E. short hair and nailparings.
Both materials are rich in protein, that is why the compost worm will
feed
on it.

Personally, I would put both those materials in the compost heap,
which should be regularly stocked with composting worms,
so that you will not encounter these materials later on in the soil.

Any dead mice, rats and birds, which the cat brings into your home,
can safely go on the compost heap too
provided the heap is covered against the flies, flyscreen will do.
The main danger here is, that it is attractive to roaming dogs, who
will
dig up your compost heap, to get at any meaty bits and pieces.
We set a trap, and the dog ranger will prosecute the owners for not
having the
dog under continuous control.

It is also a fallacy, that worms will shun certain foods like dairy
produce,
citrus foods and other strong smelling stuff like onions etc.
When the worms are hungry enough, they WILL get into those as well,
if they have no access to more attractive food for them.
They started on my carpet squares which covered my wormbeds
when I had others (under)feeding my wormbeds
while I was away on a four month holiday.

I had an "empty" cream container in the kitchen scraps one day,
it had some sour cream left in it.
You should have seen the worms it attracted, the little carton was
full of worms when I investigated it later.

However, if you put these things in the compost heap, please COVER
it so that smells cannot escape, and flies, live rats, mice and birds
cannot get at it.

For more INFO on worms, visit my website : ( NOT COMMERCIAL )
http://www.wormfarminginfo.co.nz

HH Harmsen.
plenmneke@xtra.co.nz