Re: pressure treated lumber - reduce potential harm to children

  • Subject: Re: [cg] pressure treated lumber - reduce potential harm to children
  • From: Pat_Elazar@cwb.ca
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 11:53:55 -0500

Yes- only grow ornamentals in those beds!

Justin Russell <JRussell@ifmnet.org>
Sent by: community_garden-admin@mallorn.com

07/16/2003 11:33 AM

        To:        community_garden@mallorn.com
        cc:
        Subject:        [cg] pressure treated lumber

I agree that pressure treated lumber is nasty stuff, but I was put in a
position where a teacher with a school garden and a horticultural extension
agent agreed that it was safe to use for vegetable gardening with kids.
Since it was not my decision to make, I had to go along with the project
using the cheapest materials, i.e. pressure treated lumber. I wanted to
know, is there a way to reduce the possible harm to children with these
materials being used for raised beds?
Thank you.

Justin Russell
Inter-Faith Ministries
Campaign To End Childhood Hunger
Americorps*VISTA
Gardening Projects Coordinator/ Anti-Hunger Curriculum Coordinator
829 N. Market
Wichita, KS   67214-3519
(316) 264-9303 (ex.113)
(316) 264-2233 (fax)