Re: pressure treated lumber

  • Subject: Re: [cg] pressure treated lumber
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:07:41 EDT

Justin,

Never having been between that particular rock and a hard place, I don't know
what I could tell you.  The collective "dumb-ass" of your well meaning
teacher and extension agent is pretty shocking, though all too common - well meaning
people taking the cheapest way out.

Ya want to teach the kids how to garden and fight hunger, but you don't want
them to get sick from the crap that leaches out of the wood.  Most certainly,
you don't want them ever sawing or breathing in the dust from the PT wood.

Maybe there's somebody on the list who knows how to contain the health risks
of PT lumber better than me.  As much as I feel gardening with kids is
important, their health is more important to me.

If faced with your quandary, I'd walk and say why.  I'd also share the
information with their parents (as a parent, I'd certainly want to know.) Maybe
others on this list know better......

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman

<< Subj:     [cg] pressure treated lumber