Community Gardens and Sustainability- Reasearh Project

  • Subject: [cg] Community Gardens and Sustainability- Reasearh Project
  • From: CATHERINE ANNE BAIRD <catherine.baird@studentmail.newcastle.edu.au>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 11:01:54 +1000

Good morning,

My name is Catherine and I'm an Environmental Science honours student at The University of Newcastle, Australia and am completing a major research thesis on the role of community gardens in achieving sustainability (social, ecological and economic) with particular reference to the urban environment.

My research is taking place in the Hunter Valley of NSW where there are some existing community gardens but also many gardens beginning to get underway.

I was hoping that members of this organisation would be able to provide me with their interpretation/definition of a community garden? Or maybe how you would describe a community garden to someone who had never heard of one before?

So far in my research I have found that there isn't a concrete defintion of a commuinity garden and rather they are just described through a series of elements e.g. meeting place, social environment etc.  and I am interested in hearing some opinions of this group because community gardens have a longer and more established history in America than in Australia.

Thank you and I look forward to reading your responses!

Catherine Baird

Catherine Baird
School of Environmental and Life Sciences
The University of Newcastle
Callaghan, 2308

Catherine.baird@studentmail.newcastle.edu.au