RE: New Community Garden

  • Subject: RE: [cg] New Community Garden
  • From: "utahgardens" <utahgardens@comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 21:58:25 -0600

This listserve is a great place for you to draw from a wide breadth of knowledge for community gardening. Many here are involved in different aspects of community gardening. Some specialize in school gardening. Some work with seniors. Some have beautiful gardens in downtown urban cities, adding to the beauty of downtown. There are thousands of community gardens in the country and tens of thousands of gardeners.

With that said it would help to know some more information about

The purpose of your garden---the target audience (youth adults, seniors, handicap etc…)

The size of the garden

The goal you want to achieve by building the garden

How much corporate, municipal, school and other help you have

What type of funding you have as far as grant or grass root fundraising

What types of crops you are looking to grow

If you can let us know what you are looking at building, I am sure you will find people who have done, or are doing, the very same things and can give great advice as far as what to do and what to avoid.

Good Luck

Shane Siwik

President Utah GARDENS

ACGA Board Member