RE: please help with groundhog problem

  • Subject: RE: [cg] please help with groundhog problem
  • From: "Jim Call" <jimcall@casagarden.com>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 20:48:29 -0500

Jude,
Our Master Gardeners (MG) have the same problem here in Alabama.  Because our MG Demostration Vegetable Garden resides in the botanical garden, using a shotgun wouldn't go over too good with the social crowd. Groundhogs do a lot of damage.   After we catch a groundhog in a "live" trap, s/he is entered into our relocation program (transported to the wilderness).  You can view our MG website at...   http://www.mginfo.org

On another note, does anyone know of a way to keep ducks out of flowerbeds?  Our downtown park has a beautiful spring and a large lagoon that attracts alot of ducks.  One in particular is called a Muscogee (black, white and ugly).  Its doesn't help that 1/2 of Huntsville bring hundreds of loaves of bread to feed the ducks but thats the nature of the park. Right now, we have a nest with about 5 eggs installed in one particular flowerbed next to the park. Next year, we plan to plant a lot more flowerbeds to help beautify the downtown area and it would be nice to lay down a natural barrier to deter the ducks.  Now looking at it from a duck's point of view, that flowerbed sure looks pretty good as compared to manicured turf, park benches and picnic tables.

Now, if I could only figure out how to deter teenagers from writing graffiti on sidewalks and downtown structures.....hmmmm.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim Call, City of Huntsville Project Supervisor - Landscape Mgt. Division - Downtown
              CASA Community Garden Volunteer Dir.