Re: Soils test required for City owned Community Gardens?

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Soils test required for City owned Community Gardens?
  • From: "Dr. H. Michael Simmons" <simmonsm@bloomington.in.us>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:49:45 -0500 (EST)

     In Bloomington, Indiana, we have always done extensive testing of
park soil intended for gardening.  We test for lead and other heavy
metals, insecticides, petroleum derivatives, and PCBs.  Only if the garden
footprint is clean do we proceed with development plans.  We test soil in
the gardens for pH and nutrients every three years and supply this
information to gardeners.

H. Michael Simmons, Ph.D.
Bloomington Parks and Recreation
P.O. Box 848