From: community_garden-admin@mallorn.com
[mailto:community_garden-admin@mallorn.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 1:02 PM
To: community_garden@mallorn.com
Subject: community_garden digest, Vol 1 #1890 - 2 msgs

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:04:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: Don Boekelheide <dboekelheide@yahoo.com>
To: community_garden@mallorn.com
Subject: [cg] CG zoning and soil test

Hi, all,

Just back from a great week in Vermont, saw an
interesting garden at Bennington College. Fantastic
music, too.

On zoning, then on soil testing:

There is no earthly reason why a community garden -
particularly a 'typical' small (1/2 acre or less)
allotment garden - needs to have agricultural zoning.
That's doubly true if the garden is managed
organically. The reason is simple: most community
gardeners use familiar customary techniques common in
areas with residential zoning. They are the same
activities, same products and same equipment used by
residential homeowners in their front and back yards
(products and equipment sold in any big box garden
center). Essentially, most community garden and
greening projects provide a 'yard' for people without
access to land or who prefer gardening in a group
setting. 'Agricultural zoning' set up for large
agribusiness fields or livestock operations is
completely inappropriate in this context.

Part of the problem here - and it may represent an
important area for ACGA education activities - may
have to do with planners who have no experience with
community gardens and greening projects, who have not
learned about them in their college programs, and who
have very limited knowledge of what community
gardeners actually do. These planners want to be
'safe', but by the logic they follow, every backyard
or balcony tomato plant would require agricultural
zoning. Besides, chemical use, pollution and noise
generated by conventional residential lawncare are
much closer to agribusiness activities and problems
than most community gardening practices.

So, good luck educating your planning staff.

One caveat: A larger (> 1/2 acre) urban farm or
greenhouse project might in fact be appropriately
zoned agricultural, depending on how you manage it
(organic or not; intensive production or more
relaxed...).

Soil testing can mean two quite different things. For
nutrient management and pH, a periodic 'agronomic'
soil test helps gardeners know the proper quantities
of fertilizer, lime and organic matter to add, instead
of guessing. These are not terribly expensive and they
are worthwhile, in my opinion (more expensive
'biological' soil testing is also available from 'soil
food web' and others, and it's great if you can afford
it).

In urban areas, it doesn't hurt to test for dangerous
materials in the soil, such as lead or industrial
chemical residues. These are very different
'environmental toxicology'  tests, and more expensive.
But, yeah, they probably are a very good idea if you
are going to put garden on a vacant lot in the middle
of the city. They don't need to be repeated in most
cases, since they are intended to help you decide if
you need a different garden site, or need to use a
'non-traditional' approach such as growbags.

Good luck!

Don Boekelheide
Charlotte NC