Re: Clinton Community Garden, Question about membership

  • Subject: [cg] Re: Clinton Community Garden, Question about membership
  • From: adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 19:56:58 -0400

Your question:

Our parks and recreation department is developing a master plan for the property on which our community garden is located.  Given that community gardens are not currently part of the infrastructure, our park commissioners are wrestling with the following issues.
Length of time a person can subscribe to a plot.
Justification of permitting a private party (plot subscriber) to grow and harvest items from a publicly owned property (park)

For starters: Please share the American Community Gardening Association website with your fellow gardeners and with the folks at your Ashland Oregon Parks and Recreation Dept: http://www.communitygarden.org/. There is a wealth of information within on all kinds of garden topics, already invented wheels, if you were, that you can easily afix to your "wagon."

Your nice folks at the Ashland Parks and Recreation Dept may feel comfortable talking to their parkie conterparts at the Portland, OR Parks Dept. Portland has some of the finest community gardens in the country and are old hands at Community Gardening issues: http://www.parks.ci.portland.or.us/Gardens/Community/CommunityGardens.htm

Some thoughts.

Length of time someone can garden a plot.

1) As you read from the Clinton Community Garden website, we have a waitlist of a couple of years for a plot, and we make sure, with weekly walk throughs during the season that the garden plots are maintained, along with the walks in front of them by the gardeners. Gardening is hard work, and requires steady gardening during the season.  Many folks fall by the wayside. But all gardeners at the Clinton Community garden have to fill out a yearly renewal form, which has to be submitted back the the garden ( or in your case, Parks) in a timely matter. Just treat the plot as a regular Parks permit. They have tennis players who return year after year - it should be the same for gardeners.  The other thing that your local Parks dept should include in the permit is a work requirement to help maintain the public areas of your community garden - you got your plot, you keep the garden nice for everyone too. Again - this is work as well as pleasure. And have them talk to the Portland people on this one.

2) On harvesting from a garden plot - Community Gardening is the only form of public parks recreation that feeds people, often poor folks, fresh veggies that would otherwise be unavailable to them. Flowers too. Maybe you might want to "grow a row for the hungry," in your community garden that could go to a local food security pantry or soup kitchen? No politician would have any problem with that. It's not being grown for sale, but to add a few tomatoes to a senior's table. And the kids learn that vegetables don't grow out of cans ( education) which has to please the teachers.  Again, you well meaning foks from the Ashland Parks Department need to talk with their counterparts in Portland.  Portland gardens have an awful lot of invented wheels,

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer,
Clinton Community Garden

Would you like to respond?  Let me know if you can?t and I will handle.  Please copy me if you do respond; I?d love to see how you address the private/public space issue.

Thanks!

Nancy

Your website is very informative.  Could you please answer a couple questions?

Our parks and recreation department is developing a master plan for the property on which our community garden is located.  Given that community gardens are not currently part of the infrastructure, our park commissioners are wrestling with the following issues.
Length of time a person can subscribe to a plot.
Justification of permitting a private party (plot subscriber) to grow and harvest items from a publicly owned property (park)

Do you have any insights on this issue?

Regards,
Patrick Marcus, Ashland Community Garden.
Ashland, Oregon.
541-488-0171