reclaimed water in community gardens

  • Subject: [cg] reclaimed water in community gardens
  • From: "Alexandra Lyon" alex-lyon@ca.nacdnet.org
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 11:30:52 -0700

Hello everyone!

First of all, I just want to comment on how consistently informative and
inspiring the discussion on this listserve is.  I live and work in a small
town in Southern California, and am scoping out the possibilities for
starting a community garden (neighboring towns have them, but we don't).  I
work for the local Resource Conservation District, a grant-funded unit of
the state government that provides environmental support for land owners and
farmers.

Someone on the board at the local water district has been dropping hints
that the water district may be able to provide the needed land, and would
also be interested in providing reclaimed water for use by the gardeners.
They are interested in demonstration projects using reclaimed water.  I did
some research and found that tertiary treated reclaimed water is already in
use on some vegetable crops, so it is safe, but I'm wondering if there are
any community or school gardens out there who are already using reclaimed
water, and what recommendations they might have.  Please send me any
information you think would be helpful, and thank you again for all your
thoughts and efforts.

Sincerely,

Alexandra Lyon

Mission Resource Conservation District