RE: Fwd: Ashland community garden questions

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Fwd: Ashland community garden questions
  • From: "Alliums" garlicgrower@green-logic.com
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 09:29:59 -0400

Hi, Folks!

Patrick wrote:
> One of our park commissioners has expressed a concern that a gardener
> hypothetically hold a plot for decades thereby locking up public land for
> by others.  Even though this could happen, I suspect that it is highly
> unlikely.

I agree with Adam -- with society as mobile as it is, the chances of someone
tying up a plot for decadesis very small.

HOWEVER, if you've got a person who is that embedded in the community that
they are living there for decades and they are a dedicated gardener who
maintains their plot year in, year out, you WANT that person in your garden
badly because such a community-minded person will guide your newer gardeners
not only in the ways of gardening, but in the ways of the community -- they
will know everything about everyone and everyplace and be an incredible
resource to everyone who comes to your garden.

Community gardens are all about building social capital and if you've got
such a resource, the information and stabilizing influence they will be in
the community will far outweigh the "locking up" of public land because
they've kept their same plot for 35 years!

Have a few "open to the public" events per year -- work days in common
areas, harvest festivals, whatever so that if folks think they want to
garden, they have access -- 3/4 of them don't really want to put the time in
gardening, but they want to feel like they COULD if they wanted to --
fulfill that need (and help spread your social capital) and you shouldn't
have many complaints.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of