Fwd: Ashland community garden questions

  • Subject: [cg] Fwd: Ashland community garden questions
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 07:11:45 EDT

While it's theoretically possible that a person could have a plot permit for
decades, the mobility of American society, divorces, deaths, etc., and
accountability to the garden makes it unlikely that there won't be a steady
turn over
of garden plots -this has been our experience at the Clinton Community Garden
over the last twenty odd years. Please read our plot rules and procedures at
Clinton Community Garden.  I've kicked this to the entire list-serve to see
if anyone else wants to talk about this.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer,
Clinton Community Garden

> [...]
> let me explain our system.  Our members pay an annual fee of $50 for a
20x20,
> which is renewable each January.  Existing gardeners have first priority to
> renew their plots.  Established members wishing to upgrade to a larger plot,
> say from 10x10 to a 20x20 are given first priority for plots that become
> available in January.  Remaining plots are filled from the wait list.
>

> One of our park commissioners has expressed a concern that a gardener could
> hypothetically hold a plot for decades thereby locking up public land for
use
> by others.  Even though this could happen, I suspect that it is highly
> unlikely.
>

> Here is a link to our local paper, An article about our garden came out
> today.  I have to admit, they used a very poor picture of our garden, itbs
much
> more lush that what is shown.  I think they wanted to show some of the
> additional available land.  See the link below.
>
>  http://www.dailytidings.com/2005/0706/070605n2.shtml
>

> I have been somewhat successful at elevating the discussion within our
> community.  Because of my effort, the park commission will hold a special
meeting
> on July 18 to investigate forming a business model that includes rental
> gardens as part of the park infrastructure.  I am looking for information
about
> plot tenure and turnover; I have not seen that kind of data yet.
>

> Any insights to private use on public land is appreciated.
>

> Thanks again for your response.
>

> --Patrick
>
>  Ashland Community Garden
Thanks for the information.  I have already sent our Parks Department
the link to ACGA, as well as a copy of the Madison Food System Report
and other data. Our park staff is small so their resources are
somewhat limited.  I have deliberately held back on sending them a lot
of stuff because I did not want to overwhelm them.  I will send them
the link to the Portland site.  (They may already have it.)

I could use a little clarification on your system for permit renewal;
first let me explain our system.  Our members pay an annual fee of $50
for a 20x20, which is renewable each January.  Existing gardeners have
first priority to renew their plots.  Established members wishing to
upgrade to a larger plot, say from 10x10 to a 20x20 are given first
priority for plots that become available in January.  Remaining plots
are filled from the wait list.

One of our park commissioners has expressed a concern that a gardener
could hypothetically hold a plot for decades thereby locking up public
land for use by others.  Even though this could happen, I suspect that
it is highly unlikely.

Here is a link to our local paper, An article about our garden came
out today.  I have to admit, they used a very poor picture of our
garden, it's much more lush that what is shown.  I think they wanted

  _____