c.g. or allotment?

  • Subject: [cg] c.g. or allotment?
  • From: "Kristin Faurest" kfaurest@hotmail.com
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:00:42 +0000

Dear everyone,

I know i can always count on this listserver for brilliant answers, so
here goes. I am in the process of finishing a dissertation on community
gardens, and am trying to come up with an intelligent but simple
explanation of what distinguishes a community garden from a European
allotment. Some distinctions that I have read suggest that the difference
is that allotments are individual parcels and community gardens are not,
but I know that that isn't at all accurate, either. There's no
distinctive socioeconomic group that either serves more than the other,
as far as I know, and European allotment gardens often function as social
centers or to help new immigrants become part of their new home just the
way community gardens do.

I know that allotment gardens are more government-supported and less of a
bottom-up grassroots effort than community gardens, which is a subtle
difference but the only really consistent distinction I can figure out.

I would be very grateful for anyone's insights. Is the government's role
the only real difference? Or should they be considered two different
entities, or one a subtype of the other?

thank you so much.

Kristin Faurest, Budapest