RE: c.g. or allotment?

  • Subject: RE: [cg] c.g. or allotment?
  • From: "Betsy Johnson" betsy@bgjohnson.com
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:40:17 -0400

Because no two community gardens are the same and no two allotments are
the same, it is impossible to generalize differences.  Based on the
allotments I've visited in Berlin, an allotment may be generally larger
than most community garden plots.  As a result, these allotment had
small cabins on the plots as well as garden space.  While a community
garden may have a gazebo, tool shed, or even a small building, each
individual plot does not.  In terms of government involvement, that
varies as much among community gardens as it does among allotment.

Others can add more.  Best to hear from the European perspective.

Betsy Johnson
Interim Executive Director
American Community Gardening Assoc.
877-275-2242  betsyjohnson@communitygarden.org