RE: Workdays & volunteer hours as prerequisite of garden membership

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Workdays & volunteer hours as prerequisite of garden membership
  • From: "jana remy" remyj@uci.edu
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 22:46:53 -0700

At the Verano Community Garden in Irvine, CA, we hold quarterly clean-ups
and require each gardener to attend and work for two hours at each of the
clean-ups.  If they can't attend, they're required to do a two-hour make-up
task.

At our clean-ups we mulch paths, clear weeds, clean out abandoned plots,
etc.  We used to require a $20 deposit, in addition to annual dues, that was
refunded if gardners attended clean-ups and was not refunded if they didn't.
It got to be quite a hassle to keep track of who worked when and whether
they needed refunds, so we now we just mandate the work hours for everyone.
Those gardeners who serve on the Garden Council don't have to pay annual
dues. We often have difficulty filling the Council positions--it seems that
most people would rather pay the money than put in the time to run for
office and perform their duties.

Jana Remy
Treasurer, Verano Community Garden