Re: Workdays & volunteer hours as prerequisite of garden membership

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Workdays & volunteer hours as prerequisite of garden membership
  • From: adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 19:32:34 -0400

Face it, every garden has its share of slugs and "lazy bastids," due to human nature.

It's best, of course, to have workdays and volunteer hours as a prerequistie of garden membership laid out, out front and in writing, but because we community gardeners are such gentle souls and feel that "people should feel the need to contribute, not be coerced into it," it rarely happens, or the rules are not enforced with the corvee-like draconic nature that they should be.

Oh dear - well, I must confess that I was drawn into community gardening by Liz Christy, or to be more accurate, Liz Christy's backside - I was an adolescent and Liz was sweating, she turns around and says,
"You there, you either stop looking as my @#!, or get to work - pick up a shovel!"

Pretty dames in shorts - not the worst thing. Or I have some nice young folks with gym bodies who have this need to "give back something," at this garden I work in - it's amazing how you catch more volunteers  with @#! than you get with  wholesome, heartfelt requests...

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman
Hell's Kitchen NYC