Workdays & volunteer hours as prerequisite of garden membership

  • Subject: [cg] Workdays & volunteer hours as prerequisite of garden membership
  • From: "Patty Zehl" pzehl@ksu.edu
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 10:59:38 -0500

We currently require our garden members to sign up to participate in
committees each year which pertain to maintenance, operation and the
newsletter.  My experience in our community garden indicates that this needs
to be changed, as we have very poor response to requests for participation
by our committee chair persons.  Our gardeners do not live in the
neighborhood, and many of them seem more concerned about their individual
plots and not the garden as a whole.  This lack of participation shows in
the appearance of the garden.  A few people put a lot of effort in, but the
rest are not doing their fair share.

I have heard that some gardens require a certain number of volunteer hours
per plot per year; and these volunteer hours can be used during workdays
that are held throughout the year.  This sounds very interesting, and I
would like to hear what other community gardens are doing, and if your
garden requires volunteer hours, how many.  How do you encourage
participation, and is it a requirement.

I'd appreciate any ideas you can share with me about your own community
gardens.

Patty

Manhattan, KS