RE: Dealing with animals in gardens

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Dealing with animals in gardens
  • From: "jana remy" remyj@uci.edu
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 22:02:15 -0700

In our SoCal gardens rabbits are a huge problem.  We also have rats,
possums, gophers, raccoons and the occasional coyote that can cause problems
(the coyotes don't eat the produce, but they sometimes knock down fences and
structures).

Like you, individual gardeners tend to fortify their fences in various ways.
I've found that plastic-coated chicken wire works best againsts rabbits.
Many gardners have experimented with using urine (fox or human male) or
human hair as a deterrent with varying levels of success.

Jana
Verano Community Garden