Grand Reopening__ARROW Park/Community Garden & Community Center

I would like to invite everyone to the Grand Reopening of the ARROW Park and
Community Center.  The opening is on Saturday June 10th from 10-1.  There
will be food, music and kid's activities.
The garden is located on 35th Street between 35th and 36th Avenue in
Astoria, Queens.    To get to the park using public transportation take the
R to Steinway or the N to 36th Avenue.

I have recently joined ARROW; therefore I am not all that familiar with
their history.  Below is an announcement from their recent newsletter:

The ARROW community garden was closed during 1999 for a major makeover.
Through the use of allocations from the discretionary funds of City
Councilman Walter McCaffrey and Queens Borough President Clare Shulman, the
site has been completely renovated and redesigned.

The empty garage on the site has been transformed into a brand new,
beautiful 3,000 square-foot community center.  This facility will include
meeting and workshop space that ARROW plans to make available to local
not-for-profit groups and others to hold meetings and to present cultural
events and educational programs to the neighborhood residents.  The
community center will also include a computer room, thanks to more
discretionary funding in 1999 from City Councilman Walter McCaffrey.

The ARROW garden is also a New York City park; so when you're not attending
programs (or helping out with the herb bed!) We hope that you will use it as
a peaceful spot to sit and enjoy looking at plants growing.  We will also
resume our community gardening activities this year.

We at ARROW are excited about the reopening of the garden and  the potential
it has for contributing real community activities and spirit in our

As we head into the high-tech 21st century we'll need that sense of
community more than ever.

See you there!  Stephanie Powers