FW: Community Gardens

-----Original Message-----
From: wkchan@lcsd.gov.hk [mailto:wkchan@lcsd.gov.hk]
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2000 3:36 AM
To: smccabe@pennhort.org
Subject: Communtiy Gardens

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am working in the Leisure and Cultural Services Departmment of Hong Kong
SAR
and am looking into the feasibility of establishing community garden in Hong
Kong.  We are looking into various means to encourage and induce gardening
enthusiasts to participate in gardening and greening works in a postivie and
safe way.  Community garden may be one of our solutions.

From the Internet, I noticed that most community gardens are run either on
private land or public land alloted to individual or gardening societies.  I
would like to know if there is any "public" community garden which is run by
the
Government or the municipal councils for the purpose of social/community
involvement and education.  I understand there are also some parks in
Singapore
where public is allowed to grow vegetables in desginated area but I am not
able
to obtain further information from known sources.  Do you have some
information
about this ?

Your assistance to my enquiries would be much appreciated.  Thanks for your
help
and with best regards.

Alex CHAN