Community Gardening in NYC

Dear Mr. Chan,

I am a member of the steering committee of the Clinton Community Garden in
NYC. Located on W. 48th Street between 9th & 10th avenues in Manhattan we
are within walking distance of the People's Republic of China's Trade
Mission and Consulate on 42nd Street and 12th avenue. We're happily received
many visitors from Chinese mission and have had a few work with us on
occasion in maintaining the garden. It is our experience that gardening
transcends language and cultural differences. We are a very international
garden and have many visitors from all over the world. Our web site is
http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org . You may want to do web visits of
other community gardens through the American Community Gardening Association
Web Site ("ACGA") http://www.communitygarden.org . A favorite garden of mine
is the long established Eagle Heights Community Garden in Madison, Wisconsin
http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~ehgarden/ . You may want to also check out the
Canadian links on the ACGA website as well.

The Chinese are superb gardeners and agriculturists. The issue in volunteer
urban community gardens is governance: keeping the garden fun and  fair to
all participants and visitors. I'm sure that solutions to HK local
conditions will be apparent to you after you've looked at how we try to do
the right thing.

Good luck!

Adam Honigman
Bowne Publishing Division
345 Hudson Street
New York, NY 10014
Tel: (212) 414-8933
Fax: (212) 229-3421
email: adam.honigman@bowne.com
Dear Sir/Madam,

I am working in the Leisure and Cultural Services Department of Hong Kong
SAR
and am looking into the feasibility of establishing community garden in Hong
Kong.  We are looking into various means to encourage and induce gardening
enthusiasts to participate in gardening and greening works in a postivie and
safe way.  Community garden may be one of our solutions.

From the Internet, I noticed that most community gardens are run either on
private land or public land alloted to individual or gardening societies.  I
would like to know if there is any "public" community garden which is run by
the
Government or the municipal councils for the purpose of social/community
involvement and education.  I understand there are also some parks in
Singapore
where public is allowed to grow vegetables in desginated area but I am not
able
to obtain further information from known sources.  Do you have some
information
about this ?

Your assistance to my enquiries would be much appreciated.  Thanks for your
help
and with best regards.

Alex CHAN