Re: all compost was not decomposed equal

Hi, John (and everyone else)!

>Having let my subscription lapse...

You evil person! ;-D

>Compost DOES NOT make up for an imbalanced soil, and OG shouldn't be saying
>it does.

I've been rather surprised by this new assertion of theirs -- it seems to
have started quietly last fall, but now they are getting quite loud about it.

>It will help make many existing nutrients more accessible to plants, but
>cannot add what it does not have.
>More over, as OG and we should all know, all compost was not decomposed
>equal (i.e. materials and the process vary from garden to garden, and even
>week to week in a single garden).

This is what I've always thought, too.  Any soil scientists out there that
can tell us why the change in OG's policy on compost?  Is there research
that we don't know about?

>Also, it is possible to OVER apply compost, tying up nutrients and
>saturating the soil with organic matter.

Heh!  For those of us who are dealing with subsoil because the topsoil was
trucked away to be sold, I don't think this is going to be an issue for a
VERY long time. While I'll agree that it's possible, I don't think it's a
*common* problem.

>On a economic-political note, I personally prefer to support the company
>that is 100% organic in product and ethic, rather than the company selling
>only some organic because it's "popular." Peaceful Valley wins hands-down on
>this one!

Yeah, but buying the organic amendments from the mainstream store KEEPS
organic techniques "popular."  We *want* what we're doing to become
mainstream -- let the chemical users become the "lunatic fringe"! ;-D

Besides, I hate to pay for shipping across the country when I both get the
same item at Home Depot AND make a statement in my own community that kelp,
etc are *THE* items to use in one's garden right here in SE PA!  Plus, lots
of times, in places like Home Depot, you meet folks who aren't real sure
about what organic items they ought to be using.  When they see *you*
you're doing, so they tend to ask "on-the-spot" questions.  At least it
happens to me -- when I don't run into Sally and Janet and starting talking
about other things instead! ;-D

>Why buy kelp meal from a company that also sells chemicals and fungicide
treated seeds?

Because when they see that kelp meal is a bigger seller than chemicals,
they'll give the chemicals smaller shelf space until it's unprofitable to
sell them at all. . .

Just my thoughts on changing the world. . .

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of