Ants Natural Preventive

Hi Everyone, I was wondering if anyone has a natural preventive to
removing/deterring ants from my apartment.  We have two types: small ants,
and winged ants (I think they are carpenter ants).  I usually would just
leave them alone; however, there are hundreds now, the more humid it gets
the more I find them in my apartment (mostly at night).

My landlady is attempting to exterminate and I begged her to give me a few
days to take care of them without an exterminator.  She must have sprayed
the basement (regardless of my plea) with something because they are now
coming up around the radiator pipe in much larger quantities than before.
If anyone knows what I can do please let me know.

Thanks! stephanie