Plant a Row For the Hungry

I apologize if this e-mail is posted twice.  I sent it earlier and it was held by Admin Mgr of the Listserv because of its origin from my work e-mail address.
To All,
As you begin to harvest from your gardens this year, please consider donating a portion to the Plant A Row for the Hungry Program (PAR).  To do this, take your donation to your local Food Bank, homeless shelter or any food security organization.  If they are not currently participating in the PAR program, ask them to consider doing so. If your community garden wishes to become a "partner" with PAR or you have any questions concerning this program, please visit their web site at http://www.gwaa.org/par/index.html.

This year, the CASA Community Garden is partnering up with PAR to help solicit for excess produce to be distributed to our elderly and homebound.  We believe that we shouldn't limit ourselves to the garden resources currently available, but should proactively seek additional donations from area gardens as well.  Its a win-win situation, CASA is able to help feed more elderly and homebound from the additional harvest and our area gardeners have an avenue to distribute excess harvest as well.

I realize that a high percentage of community gardens are dedicated to feed families and individuals within your surrounding area.  You may want to consider designating a special plot in your community garden layout for this type of donation. Those participating in the maintenance of the garden as a whole can help maintain this special garden plot for PAR.

Please consider bringing this issue up for discussion in your next garden meeting.

                                         Best regards,  Jim Call

Jim Call
Volunteer CASA Garden Director
Huntsville, Alabama