Re: mustard plants

  • Subject: Re: [cg] mustard plants
  • From: "Pat Elazar" <Pat_Elazar@cwb.ca>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 12:02:57 -0500

Hi Hilda, check out the links below for some background on your inquiry:
Mustards ARE sometimes used as cover crops in orchards. However, since they dont
synthesize or trap any nitrogen of their own, they are usually fertilized with a
nitrogen source before planting.
http://www.sarep.ucdavis.edu/cgi-win/ccrop.exe/show_crop_27
I dont think that was your objective though?

UC Davis reccommends a mixture of Medics (annual alfalfa); subteraenean clover &
 cereal rye or barley for 'N' production
& soil building in the southwest.   http://www.sare.org/mccp2/chart1.htm    You
didnt say what your objectives were, so I assume
'N' fixation & soil building? You also didnt say what your cultivation regime
was- i.e. clean cultivation/permanent sod etc....

Here are two generic guides to home pecan production in the southwest.:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/homefruit/pecan/pecan.html   (about
 2/3 of the way down they talk about fertilization.)

http://www.cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/_circulars/circ544.html

When I lived in a climate like yours, I used a common vetch/oats mix  as a
fall-sown winter cover crop in my orchards & disked
it in in the spring for weed control & 'N' fixation. That could work for you
too, as vetch is somewhat shade tolerant & the trees
would be without leaves of course.... This method has been used in California
walnuts (check below)....
http://www.sarep.ucdavis.edu/cgi-win/ccrop.exe/Show_subj!ID=2828!SEARCHSTR=pecan+and+california!

Btw, I saw nothing in my search on Mustard cover crop & grapes....  Good luck!

"Hilda Meza-Barragan" <oliviab23@msn.com> on 06/01/2001 09:52:23 PM