RE: Choosing a garden site

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Choosing a garden site
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:53:28 -0400

First stop:

Please go to the American Community Gardening Association website and read
through it completely:

http://communitygarden.org . This page is invaluable:

Once you have people with strong backs and stomachs committed to engaging in
this project( you never know what is buried under all that rubble) research
the ownership of the property thoroughly. Oft times derelict lots like this
may have escheated ( reverted to the government because the owner didn't pay
his taxes.) If so, it becomes an issue that you'll have to talk to your
local municipality about and have to create local political support for. It
will mean getting enough local residents and local business owners to agree
that the space should be a community garden and that you local elected
officials need to support it. Depending on the real estate pressures in your
area, this can be a lengthy and relatively painless process or a massive,
heroic effort.

Remember, you are dealing with not-for-profit, volunteer run public land
management not merely gardening. Community gardening is 50% gardening and
100% political.

Good luck, please let us know how it works out for you!
Adam Honigman