Bassett's Creek Planting and Educational Opportunity

  • Subject: [cg] Bassett's Creek Planting and Educational Opportunity
  • From: "Greg Lecker" <glecker@michaudcooley.com>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 07:38:12 -0500

Dear Fellow Community Gardeners,

Some of you might be interested in the following educational and
planting opportunity:

LOCATION:						Minneapolis
CONTACT PERSON:				Vida Ditter, 612-374-1481
DATE AND TIME:					Sat., June 23rd, 9 a.m.-12 noon
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING:		Helping to plant 5,000  wetland,
woodland, and prairie plants in the Bassetts Creek creekside
restoration that has been previously cleared of buckthorn and other
invasive or exotic plant species.  A potluck lunch is planned to
follow the planting.

Teams of volunteers will work to plant the creekside by Bassett’s
Creek in the Bryn Mawr and Harrison neighborhoods.    Some
5,000 wetland, woodland, and prairie plants have been ordered.
This planting site is just south of Glenwood at Washburn, east of
Theodore Wirth Park, between Highway 55 and I-394.  Volunteers
may park on Washburn and Glenwood, then walk down to the site
on the path (south side of  Glenwood)  at the west end of Glenwood
Bridge.  Or, volunteers can park on Chestnut and walk through the
park to the back side of Fruen Mill to the work site.  Trowels and
special boots will be provided.  Some of the work may be mighty
mucky, especially if it should be raining.  Park Board will also
provide buckets and heavy duty trash bags – we’re assured that
once the area is cleared of brush, we’ll find all kinds of debris on
the ground.  Please bring your own gloves and whatever mosquito
repellant works best for you.

Buckthorn and other exotic and invasive plants have been removed
from this site.   Duties will rotate among the teams, so that no one
group of volunteers ends up doing the same task the entire
morning.   We need volunteers, lots and lots of volunteers.  You
could make this a family affair.  We’re reliably being told that
families with children 7 and older will enjoy the morning's activities.
Please call Vida Ditter at 612-374-1481 or Paul Ragozzino, 612-
377-6218 to offer your services.  Or you can pre-register by calling
the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board at 612-661-4883, or
email mprb.volunteer@ci.minneapolis.mn.us.  Thanks very much!

Greg Lecker
Hennepin County Master Gardener &
Minneapolis Community Gardener