Re: cypress volcanos

  • Subject: [cg] Re: cypress volcanos
  • From: "lisa vandyke" <vandykelisa@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 18:56:48 -0500

Hi there,
Good info about the cypress mulch origins, Julie, I guess we have to assume
that is the case with much of what we get that isn't local. As far as the
volcano mulching - I realize that it isn't very pretty, but if you mulch up
to the base of a tree, tree girdling roots will form, ultimately killing the
tree. In the twin cities we lost thousands of trees a couple of years ago
(straight-line winds), most were found to have been planted too deep or
mulched up to the base. We are still trying to recover the urban forest lost
to Dutch Elm in the 70's.
Yours in the soil, Lisa from Mpls.