RE: Re: cypress volcanos

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Re: cypress volcanos
  • From: "Jack N. Hale" <jackh@knoxparks.org>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:51:50 -0400

The weird style of tree mulch in these parts (Connecticut) is small diameter
but very deep mulch.  Maybe that's what people refer to as "volcanoes." The
academics I know suggest wide and shallow, but it seems like all the
landscapers around here have decided to go the other way.  It looks pretty
strange.  On top of that, people seem to just be in love with that garish
red-dyed wood chip mulch.
The conventional wisdom among the academics is that deep mulch has a similar
effect to planting too deep.  The landscapers know that deep mulch really
keeps the weeds down.
Jack