Repost:Urban tree question/mulch volcanos

  • Subject: [cg] Repost:Urban tree question/mulch volcanos
  • From: Dboek@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 12:49:48 EDT

Hi, all,

This is a request for info on urban tree ordinances, but first, on mulching
trees, we find it helps to teach people to think 'donut' or 'bagel' when they
mulch a tree or shrub, not 'volcano'. Leaving at least the trunk diameter
bare around the base is also an easy thing to teach. We too have mulch
volcano problems here, along with the usual peat moss addiction. Our locally
produced commercial mulch of choice is fallen pine needles (aka, 'pine
straw'). Low pH, but hey, no weed seeds. Fallen oak/maple/whathaveyou leaves
and tree service grinds (some loads, anyway) are also good cost free mulches
here, as are ground up shipping pallets (mostly oak), which our county sells
for $7/cubic yard. Ground and composted pine fines from tree plantations in
our region make a suitable replacement for peat moss, too (though I'm not
pushing tree plantations, clear cutting, all that). Anyway -

Charlotte, North Carolina, is rewriting its tree ordinance. Do any of you
live in cities, counties or communities with a strong tree ordinance that
works (ie. developers actually follow it, the whole community supports it,
etc)? Do any tree programs 'dovetail' with community gardens, open space or
green space programs? Are community gardens involved in urban and suburban
tree and habitat stewardship, anything from native tree and plant nurseries
to demonstration areas at garden sites? Thanks in advance for your examples.
Oh, one specific: Today at the 'stakeholder' meeting discussing this issue,
someone declared flatly that saving trees hurts efforts to create low income
and affordable housing, and the two cannot possibly co-exist. I really need
counterexamples - or is this guy right?

Don Boekelheide
Charlotte NC