RE: Repost:Urban tree question/mulch volcanos

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Repost:Urban tree question/mulch volcanos
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 16:21:08 -0400

In Hell's Kitchen we've found that people tend to respect low-income housing
that is built attractively and has amenities like open space, community
garden nearby. Ugly buildings without well kept open space encourages
unfriendly behaviors.

In fact, when they build a high rise building of yuppie coops, or a film
studio that needs a zoning change, part of the process requires that they do
an Environmental Impact Study ("EIS") which requires the applicant to hire
an "independent" firm to list and categorize the open space in the
neighborhood and the impact the new project would have on them.

It bemuses me that the only open space/park rated as "excellent" in these
EIS studies is the Clinton Community Garden. Some nearby buildings on West
48th Street which were once "marginal" now have some rather pricey

This is bittersweet: Some landlords make annual contributions to the garden
because it's existance raises their property values.

Community gardens: something for everyone, even Republicans! "Woodsman halt
that bulldozer! The only thing you're bulldozing is your property values!"

Back to editing....

Best wishes,

Adam Honigman