Re: Re: Fruit Tree Questions

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Re: Fruit Tree Questions
  • From: Pat_Elazar@cwb.ca
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 11:19:51 -0500

You can definitely espalier using anchors in the ground to augment the
fence for support. I'd be happy to show you how & with some training, you &
and your crew will be able to that yourself. You can also graft 5 kinds of
apples on one tree, but in our climate, the differing demands placed on the
root system by the various varieties would be very hard on the tree. I
would recommend one or two at the most per tree.

The question is however- do  you & your crew have the time & human-power
commitment to maintain these trees in the above-mentioned format? You can
grow hardy apples, plums, cherries & pears here with minimum care, but the
ouput will be minimal also! The choice of varieties is crucial: WIll you
plant stuff that people can process, store & use, or stuff that will go
into the compost pile?

Further, all fruit trees require unimpeded sun access (zero shade at all),
perfect air drainage & better soil drainage than ANY ambient mud in our
region (Winnipeg- 500mi NW of Minneapolis). I recommend doing some very
serious soil ammending a year in advance of planting.

You are welcome to take a look at how I've integrated apples, cherries,
grapes, walnuts & strawberries into my personal garden in north Winnipeg.
You can see the good, bad & ugly right there in my yard. Drop me a line.

Jeneva Storme <jenevastorme@yahoo.ca>@mallorn.com on 06/05/2002 10:21:11 AM

Sent by:    community_garden-admin@mallorn.com