RE: Gardener agreements

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Gardener agreements
  • From: "Jack Hale" <jackh@knoxparks.org>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 17:44:50 -0400

You betcha.
Every few years while strolling through a community garden, I come across
some really nice 7-leaved plants, undoubtedly seeded by a passing bird
(heh-heh).  I usually leave a note next to them suggesting that the owner
make them go away before I come back in a week.  Usually the birds fly over
again and pluck them up.
With one exception, our gardens are on land owned by others, most owned by
the City of Hartford.  All we would need is for one vigilante to make a big
deal about our tolerance for illegal activity, and half of our program would
disappear.  We try to make that point to the occasional offender.
We don't get into making a big rule about it.  The offenses are so few and
far between (not to mention very low key), that most people would view it as
making a rule against something that would never happen.  I believe you
should have a short list of important rules and maybe a catch-all rule about
behavior that endangers the survival of the garden.
Good luck.
Jack Hale