RE: Evaluating CG's

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Evaluating CG's
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 11:46:46 -0400

Friends,

There is deep woodsmoke coming up from the Missouri hills - this is where
the earth-shattering Whitmire Community Garden study is taking place. One of
the best community garden/neighborhood greening organizations in the lower
48 is Gateway Greening in St. Louis, Missouri.

http://stlouis.missouri.org/gatewaygreening

Their Whitmire study is probably the best financed and most intelligently
planned community gardening study:

http://stlouis.missouri.org/gatewaygreening/WhitmireStudy.htm

I think they may know something that may keep you from re-inventing the
wheel.

My two cents:

In rating community gardens I would put service to community, accessibility
to community members ( especially wheelchair bound seniors and
children)democracy of governance, gardener committment to food security and
a favorable perception of the garden by neighbors close to the top of the
list.

The educational and/or therapeutic mission of a community garden could be
checked off and rated as well.

The other items, i.e., including best gardening practices- including
composting, organic practices, crop rotation, water conservation methods,
tool maintainance, you name it are also extremely important...

But key to my way of thinking is how community gardens grow community -
otherwise it's just gardening.

Adam Honigman
Volunteer, Clinton Community Garden, NYC
http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org