Requesting Info on Ethnic Gardening

  • Subject: [cg] Requesting Info on Ethnic Gardening
  • From: Michael J Simsik <mjs245@cornell.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 14:12:17 -0400

Dear Colleagues,

We are working on a program that seeks to teach and engage high school
students in an informal science education program that uses hands-on
educational experiences within urban community gardens.  An important
aspect of this program is learning about the gardening practices of people
from different countries and ethnic groups.  We are searching for printed
material that highlights the planting practices of people from different
places/groups so that we could provide our students with examples of how
these practices differ.  However, we are having trouble coming up with much
information.  One search (on none other than Amazon.com) revealed a book
entitled: "Growing Home: Stories of Ethnic Gardening" by Susan Davis Price
and John Gregor.  Would anybody be able to suggest other sources of
information from which we could upon to share with our students?

Thanks!

Michael J. Simsik, Team Coordinator
Rosalyn E. McMullin, Community Educator
Emily Accamando and Danielle J. Nicholson, Iterns
Environmental Revitalization & Management Issues Area
Cornell University Cooperative Extension - NYC Programs
16 East 34th Street, 8th Floor
New York, NY  10016-4328
Telephone:  (212) 340-2900
Fax:  (212) 340-2908