Re: community_garden digest, Vol 1 #1093 - 6 msgs

  • Subject: [cg] Re: community_garden digest, Vol 1 #1093 - 6 msgs
  • From: Kcnanos@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 07:43:35 EDT

I too would like information about gardening in other cultures and about the
Columbian Exchange and how food transferred across the continents. I agree
that finding information for students is difficult to find especially geared
for upper elementary and middle school students. Literature regarding basic
gardening "how to" is practically non existent for this age group. When doing
research papers on growing a particular vegetable, my students either had to
use adult books or  books for the younger set.

Can anyone recommend an organic pest control book that we can stock at the
garden for volunteers to look at?

And how do you get rid of a bee hive in a compost pile? The pile was mixed
with straw and I suspect the bees nestled into the nooks and crannies. So far
I am drowning the pile with water and then will try to spread it out. I have
my Epi - pen (bee sting kit) standing by.

We are also perplexed about what to use for mulch in the vegetable garden.
Straw is out for many reasons. One because it's hard to dispose of and hard
for the kids to  work with. Grass clippings make us worry about pesticides
used on the lawns in the area. We are opting for shredded leaves.

Thanks for all your help. The garden has inspired many children and adults in
our community. We are growing food for our school and for our Empty Bowls
benefit in the fall.  Karin Nanos Upland Hills School