Re: community_garden digest, Vol 1 #1092 - 1 msg

  • Subject: [cg] Re: community_garden digest, Vol 1 #1092 - 1 msg
  • From: Commgarden@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 03:18:13 EDT

Hi, Shelley,from the LAS FLORES COMMUNITY GARDEN in Thousand Oaks, California.

At the risk of seeming presumptuous, since our community garden won't be up
and running for about two more weeks, here are some ideas about stable
"agency" support based on our five year struggle to get started.

We first looked for  a location on privately owned or church land.  When that
failed for various reasons, we turned our search to public agencies-
county, state and city, but finally approached our local recreation and park
district.  After finding ourselves inadvertantly involved in a master plan
review that took nine months of focus group meetings, we were accepted as a
compatible use.  One of the key conditions we had to meet was coming up with
the insurance premium to absolve the park district of liability. In 2000 we
signed a three year agreement with the park district and got a grant from the
CITY to cover our insurance and some tools,etc.
Both the park district and the city separately approved the project.
The site was disced, water pip[es installed and fence will be finished by

One of the most important lessons we've learned is to put all communication
in writing so that there's no chance of misunderstanding.

We hope this helps.

Don Jacobs