Garden Destruction at 2100 Block of Fitzwater - Philadelphia

  • Subject: [cg] Garden Destruction at 2100 Block of Fitzwater - Philadelphia
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:42:16 -0400

This was sent to me while I was out of the office last week about an
unpleasant situation in Philadelphia. As I have no independent knowledge of
this sitution, I'm forwarding it to you without comment at the sender's

Adam Honigman

Adam, I'm in the process of changing e-mail addresses and have unsubscribed
but not yet resubscribed to the community garden list. It occurs to me that
some of your gardeners may be interested in this e-mail and associated

We had our meeting and it's probable that the best we can do is get him to
swap lots, we're not very hopeful. It appears, though, that various major
community stakeholders have taken this as a horrible wake-up call that it's
time to grab some greenspace before it all goes away.

My own community garden is just a block and a half to the east and one
block to the south of this one. Our ownership situation is just as tenuous
as theirs, our site is even more eligible, and we're terrified.

>Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 14:59:47 -0400
>To: phillyblocks@yahoogroups.com
>From: Laura Blanchard <lblanchard@rblanchard.com>
>Subject: Urgent -- garden destruction, 2100 block of Fitzwater
>I am sorry to write that the award-winning Philadelphia Green community
garden in the 2100 block of Fitzwater Street has had its center ripped out
by a front-end loader this morning.
>According to the garden coordinator, Kathy Garvin, the owner of the
central plot sold without informing the gardeners, who had made an informal
offer to buy the lot. The developers to whom he sold it wanted an
additional $10,000. While the frantic gardeners tried to raise the money,
they came in with a front-end loader to level the garden's centerpiece, a
raised bed made of granite blocks, so that they can take core samples. The
plans, I'm told, are to build a luxury townhouse with a
neighborhood-unfriendly garage at stree level.
>Pictures of the garden, before and after the front end loader, can be
found at
>The gardeners had a meeting scheduled for 7:00 tonight to discuss their
options with Neighborhood Garden Associates' Terry Mushovic. The meeting
will still take place. Several TV crews have been by to film the carnage,
and others are expected later today.
>Please, if you're in the neighborhood, come to the meeting to show
solidarity with these valiant gardeners. And if you're in Anna Verna's
council district, please contact her immediately if you support the
preservation of greenspace in  a neighborhood which has NOT ONE SINGLE PARK.