Scattering Gardens?

Hi, Folks!

Very interesting article in today's Philadelphia Inquirer Religion section (but not on the Web version or I would include it) about a local Lutheran church that has added what they call a "scattering garden" as a place for folks to scatter the ashes of folks who have been cremated.

I had never heard of a "scattering garden" before, but the article says they are very common in the South and West -- basically, you have a nice garden area with both annuals and perennials to scatter the ashes and a commemorative plaque area to list the folks who have been scattered.

Since our community garden is a mission of the church and we have the space, I thought it might be nice to offer this service to church members. Is anyone on the list familiar with "scattering gardens" (I'll be checking with my state rep about regulations, but the Inquirer article didn't imply this was a problem in PA) and do they have anything similar in their community gardens?

Just thought it was interesting. . .If I get the time/funds, I *really* want to add a labyrinth to our community garden as a prayer/meditation device -- combining the two could get even more interesting!

Dorene

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of