Re: Scattering Gardens?

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Scattering Gardens?
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 10:57:43 EDT

Dorene,

When some of you visited the Clinton Community Garden last July, you may have
seen the back rock garden, with it's climbing Kiwi, assorted shade plants and
black Japanesese grass adjacent to our back patio space. Currently maintained
and planted by my wife and myself, it was started by a man named Donald, who
tended it while he was "living with AIDS."

As Donald sickened before the advent of the HIV drug cocktail, he, like many
in our garden community died of AIDS.  Hell's Kitchen,  was home, along with
Chelsea, Greenwich, Harlem and Spanish Harlem, of many gay men and IV drug
users and had the first dedicated AIDS wards (The Spellman Center) at St. Clare's
Hospital, where my wife worked as a nurse.  We lost thousands in our
neighborhood to AIDS at that time. I think sometimes that the reason why NYC was able
to deal with the attack on the World Trade Center so well was because it had
been so scourged as an epicenter of the AIDS epidemic and had been schooled in
mourning.

During that time, the CCG hosted many, many memorial services for AIDS
victims,  sometimes the only commemorative event for some of the dead who were
estranged from their families but were garden friends and for others who for
whatever reason didn't want a religious service.  And we found priests, ministers
and rabbis for those who didn't know how to reach out for them.  I remember one
August where we had 10 memorial services in a week... The Clinton Community
Garden served the community well in that time of need for so many people.
Having a young man point his cane at our grape arbor and ask, "could I have my
service there?" was an experience I will never forget.  Faced with the enormity
of the epidemic, we all did as much as we could.

According to NYC health dept regulations, we did not scatter cremated remains
("cremains") in the garden, though there would have been no harm if we had.
For anyone who has dealt with cremains, there are sometimes large pieces of
bone in those urns which might have freaked some out in our garden community.
Generally, if they had a burial niche in a cemetary they used it, or did a
"scattering" out at sea or another appropriate place.  Interestingly, the old
growth virgin forest at the NY Botanic Garden in the Bronx continues to be a
regular depositing place for cremains in this town.

One of the urban legends about the Clinton Community Garden was that after
the garden's memoral for one of our  founders, Mallory Abramsen, her son
scattered some of her cremains into our compost bin.  Whether this is true or not, I
do remember the garden being particulary lush that year.....

For those who would want to have a community place for ash scattering,  it
would be best to know your local ordinances, have a good sense of your
community's feelings on the matter and make sure that the dignity and respect that the
dead and their survivors should have is preserved.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman

<< Subj:     [cg] Scattering Gardens?