More on police attacks against gardeners and promoters of healthy foodin Sacramento

  • Subject: [cg] More on police attacks against gardeners and promoters of healthy foodin Sacramento
  • From: Sharon Gordon gordonse@one.net
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 06:52:39 -0400

From city newspaper:

http://www.sacbee.com/content/business/agriculture/story/6907618p-7857171c.h
tml

**********
from Starhawk:

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 11:40:23 +0100
From: Starhawk <stella@mcn.org>

Garden Raided at Sacramento Mobilization!

Last night I watched in tears as fifty riot cops surrounded
the Ron Mandella Community Garden, where my friends and
permaculture buddies were locked down.  We stood under the
harsh lights and waited, knowing they were locked to each
other and being cut apart, hoping and praying they would not
be hurt.  Erik, Eileen, Abby, Matt, and others from Sonoma
county and our Earth Activist trainings were among them.
Now they are on hunger strike in jail. As part of the
protest against the biotech and corporate agriculture
miniministerial convened here in Sacramento by the USDA and
USAID, they decided to defend the alternative‹a community
garden confiscated to be developed for condos.

Earlier in the week, in a raid on the Welcome Center of the
Sacramento Mobilization for Food Sovereignty, Democracy and
Justice, police had confiscated seed balls produced in a
permaculture weapons, claiming they could be used as
projectile weapons, and were shown on the night time news
demo.  Why is the city of Sacramento portraying organic
gardening as a dangerous and threatening activity‹while
supporting the poisonous agriculture practices and dangerous
technologies promoted by the mini-ministerial?

   Please make the calls suggested below.  Let¹s free the
gardeners and the garden!

For more infomation on the garden, see www.freethegarden.org.
For more information on the Sacramento Mobilization, see
www.sacmobilization.org.

Please call the District Attorney, Jan Scully, and demand
that charges be dropped and the gardeners be released!
916-874-6218.

Call Steve Westly, the State Controller at (916) 445-2636,
and demand that the state return control of the garden to
the people, and end funding for the Fremont Mews
Development.

And call Mayor Heather Fargo and the Sacto City Council.
(916) 808-5407, and tell them that Sacramento needs the Ron
Mandella Community Garden.

And please send this message on to other gardeners and
permaculturists. Let's let Sacramento hear from gardeners
around the world that we want them to support small scale,
community based agriculture, not profit-driven toxic ag!

Starhawk
www.starhawk.org