RE: Re: Has-beans? support bush beans?

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Re: Has-beans? support bush beans?
  • From: "Jim Call" <jimcall@casagarden.com>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 22:20:34 -0500

We use 4 items for our pole beans trellises.  Since I believe in using long
lasting materials and cheap in some areas, here is our method.

8' Steel T-posts  --- great support and long lasting
Vinyl-coated wire - 3 levels top, middle and bottom  (don't use only top and
bottom)
Baling twine - 3000' for $7.00
Duct tape (Tim Taylor would be proud).

The wire won't rust and can be used season after season.  Beans climb baling
twine very easily. Just pick one day in the early season to gently wrap
those "feelers" who can't find the twine.  This takes only a few minutes and
you are done for the season.  No big deal.  We use small strips of duct tape
to secure the twine to the top wire.  You must do this otherwise as the
season goes on the twine will loosen enough to slide on the top wire (not
good).  Its important to create space between the vines. Since the vinyl
coated wires are the main support for the trellis, make sure you fasten them
very tightly to the steel posts. At their peak, the beans vines are very
heavy.

See at.... http://www.casagarden.com/trellis.html

We use alot of leaf mulch on the garden (at least 5 dump truck loads per
year).

At the end of the season, we just cut the twine/beans from the wire and
discard, take down the wire and pop the posts.  Make sure you have a
post-popper otherwise you better have a strong back.  :)

Oh yeah, since we changed to the planting configuration pictured (double
trellis rows), our yield has increased. The trellises are 2' apart and these
doubled-row trellises are 6' apart.

Hope this helps,  Jim